Tuesday, August 4, 2009

What I emailed to Bill Simmons

My good friend, who got me onto listening to your podcasts a few years ago, and I have a healthy competition to see who can keep up to date with your podcasts more. He generally has more on his plate than I do right now, so I usually am at least one ahead of him at any given time. Last weekend, I was excited to download the 2-part NBA podcast with Bucher and Steiny Mo, but since my friend's wife was in the hospital giving birth to their first child, I figured I could get my podcast listening in at a leisurely pace. When I went to the hospital to visit the 4-hour old boy, imagine my surprise when my buddy asks me if I have listened to the NBA special yet! The labor was long and arduous. It took all night. I couldn't picture an scenario of how my friend could have had heard your podcast while simultaneously being all there for the birthing process. Apparently after the whole birthing thing was over, the new mother and the mother-in-law tried to get a bit of rest, and that's when my friend saw his opportunity. He quietly fished out his earbuds and stuck them in his ears, and while the others were sleeping in the dark hospital room, my friend was quietly in his own NBA fantasy world! I think it's safe to say that his wife detests professional sports, so this entire action would have been performed with a CIA-like stealth, to be sure.

3 comments:

  1. I bet he was secretly listening while she was actually giving birth, that way he was getting two things done at once...he is a multitasking maniac!

    ReplyDelete
  2. all of the baby's bedtimes stories are espn the magazine articles

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was actually listening while in the bathroom.... long before the hard labor started.

    ReplyDelete