Friday, July 3, 2009

Why Does Quillen Dominate Settlers?

I've been trying to figure out what accounts for Quillen's dominance in this game. He has insisted, on more than one occasion, that he has no grand strategy or gameplan, but I remain dubious. I wish we kept better stats, because I would like to know what his winning percentage really is. Perhaps, he has a very high Settlers-IQ, similar to how people talk about basketball IQ. Maybe he really does just take a survey of the lay of the land, and perhaps he can make moves in relation to what everyone else is doing. Of course, everyone who plays the game has to do that at some level, but that's where I think maybe his hightened Settlers IQ comes into play. He is a juggernaut of the game, always believing that he will win, similar to the Lakers. I am just happy to be in the mix. Sometimes I win, more often than not, I don't. But my goals are just to be a contender, like the Spurs. Chip is always a contender, too, but his default score is basically 9 points. Why does Quillen come in and steal all our games? You know those teams who always make the Finals, only to not hold up the trophy? Like the Pistons, for most of the last 7 years? That's Chip. Ben, on the other hand, has had a long and steady progression, to the point where he is now always competing. Sometimes, much losing will incur before the growth occurs. It's like he's playing this unorthodox way, always shooting up three pointers, and if everything bounces his way, he'll have success. He's like the Orlando Magic. Robbie tries to use stats to his advantage. He actually tried to record the number of moves it takes before games are finished, and average them out, so that he could have an idea of when the typical game is likely to end. This new approach to nerdiness stats-devotion reminds me of Daryl Morel of the Houston Rockets. Meanwhile, Riggs is the type of player who will go out with a gameplan, and usually try to act out that gameplan every time. If it works, then he'll do fine. If it doesn't work, then he won't. He reminds me of the Celtics. As long as everyone stays healthy, things will work out fine.

3 comments:

  1. can I be the Washingon Generals? they take it seriously but are blown out and embarresed every game. and they get a bucket of confetti thrown on them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate that I was compared to the Lakers...or even a basketball team (I guess it's better than being compared to a hockey team). I've always hated the Lakers and basketball has lost it's appeal...Settlers of Catan has not, Yet I will try and take it as a compliment. I played Settlers over the 4th against my brother and brother-in-law. Not seasoned players, but they know what they're doing. I destroyed them both...twice, in record time. I don't play as much as I use to...but I've still got Settlaz Skillz!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My winning percentage has skyrocketed since Quillen moved away. I have been able to retain the Green Jacket over the past two "seasons."

    ReplyDelete