Friday, July 3, 2009

My Genius List


I've just been thinking about Michael Jackson, and all of the accolades he's been receiving since the news of his death about a week ago. Much criticism has come as a result of the media's glossing over basically the last 20 years of his life, where his life became a tragedy. Almost all the press has focused on his early career. The word "genius" is tossed around, but I would have to agree that he was a musical and performing genius. Which got me thinking - who is a genius and what constitutes one? Another guy who people talk about as being a comedy genius is Larry David. I would also have to agree with that. But who would be on my current genius list? Who would be on yours? The criteria are that they would have had to be alive in the last 100 years. Sure, Beethoven and Mozart could be on the list, but I am talking more about modern geniuses. Here's my list:
1. the aforementioned Michael Jackson, the perfect mix of music and dancing
2. Larry David, because he can weave seemingly completely scenarios and storylines together.
3. Albert Einstein. Of course, everybody thinks of this guy as a genius, but he was for me because he conceived of a universe that most of us can't wrap our heads around completely.
4. Michael Jordan - 6 championships. The best basketball player ever
5. LeBron James - he has the potential to be that great, but still lacks a consistent outside shot. But I think his basketball IQ is off the charts.
6. Zinedine Zidane - People refer to basketball IQ, but why not baseball IQ, or soccer IQ? Clearly, this man had a little bit of genius to be able to see the field and create space the way he did.
7. Sufjan Stevens - you may be surprised to see me put this one on here. I am not necessarily his biggest fan, but there is really a composing genius in his work.
8. Bill Gates- I am lucky if I can turn on the computer. This man turned his computer genius into billions of dollars.
And so there it is. Am I missing anyone? Probably. You tell me.

No comments:

Post a Comment