Tuesday, June 16, 2009

And the Winner Is....

I nominate and, since really I am the only judge, simultaneously award the Green Nutty Granola Award to Robbie Bolton. This award goes to the greenest Nutbar of them all, and this year, it goes to Robbie because of his steadfast dedication to biking to work. Now, I am a big fan of biking myself, but even I have marveled at his dedication to biking not only when the weather is fair, but quite honestly, in winter conditions that would seem to me to make biking almost impossible. When so much snow had fallen that schools were cancelled, Robbie still made the trek in. I tried biking once in snow this past winter, and I almost slipped and fell 3 times just in travelling 3 blocks. Robbie, I hope your biking continues to inspire others to see the benefits of biking.
It really is a completely win-win situation. First, you are getting your daily exercise from your commute at the same time, which saves you time because you wouldn't have to get in your exercise later in the day. When I lived in Kentucky, I didn't bike once in three years - I just simply hopped in the car and went to my destination. This is also a reason why my weight kept creeping upwards in those years. Now, I bike as much as possible because with 70% of Americans overweight, most of us could stand to burn a few calories. Secondly, biking saves you money. Save the car for trips when you really need it. Bike everywhere else. It's amazing how much gas we waste on simple trips around town. Thirdly, biking makes you feel closer to nature because you are outside experiencing it. Fourthly, if you are biking in a town, especially, I would contend that you could get to most places you need to go within 15-20 minutes, depending on the town. Even Manhattan isn't extremely big, surface-wise. I bet you could get from 120th Street to Broadway in 20 minutes. My fifth and final reason for biking is that while cars need roads, bikes don't necessarily. You can cut down on travel time when you don't have to wait around for the light to turn green, or if you can cut across the woods for a shortcut...
So, once again, good work, Robbie

3 comments:

  1. thanks, ryan. i really don't know what to say. obviously, i think God, my family, my unborn baby, and all the nutbars everywhere. i thought i received this because i am trying to garden this year, but i guess i don't receive accolades for that until i start selling my produce at the local farmer's market.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well your broccoli has taken a serious turn for the worse...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay Robbie!
    You deserve this award! Your are both crazy and dedicated! Once we move into our house I will attempt to be like Rob...until then, I will be lazy and continue to get fat!

    ReplyDelete