Tuesday, May 19, 2009

London Olympics - Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down, Klaus?

Today I decided to put away the headphones during my bikeride, and just to let my mind make up its own music and cacophony of random thoughts and ideas. I remember having a ton of great potential blog ideas, but of course, I've forgotten them all by now. The only thing I can say for sure is that biking without headphones does seem to provide great ideas. At one point, I realized that I would be soon forgetting everything that was popping into my head, and I thought it would be fantastic if only there were a device that could record my words and simultaneously delivered a blog post without my having to come back later and actually write the words down on a keyboard.
Of all the ideas that popped into my head, I remember actually just one: and that one dealt with the Olympics, and how London is going to come off looking in three years time. You see, in 2004, the Summer Games were in Athens, which was cool, seeing that it is the origin of the whole idea of the games, going back to 776 B.C. Watching the marathon being run on the original path from Marathon to Athens was great, except for that psycho Irish dude who attacked the lead runner with a few miles to go...But nonetheless, Athens was a good venue due to the historical aspect. Then, in 2008, Beijing put on a fantastic show. The world's next superpower was intent on putting on a coming-out party worthy of its soon-to-be status. The opening ceremony will not soon be matched. It was, by a longshot, the coolest opening ceremony ever, which goes to prove that, despite their human rights' violations, these Commies can put on a good show. Which brings me to London. There is no way they can match what happened in Beijing. Beijing is like Jay-Z stealing the show at Glastonbury last year (unheard of for a rock festival-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrDIOVXx-y8&feature=related), while London will be like Noel Gallagher, unable to mount a response. If the 2008 Olympics were Beijing and China's coming out party to the world, it has to be like what it must have been like when Rupaul, Richard Simmons, or Perez Hilton came out - "OK, world, I'm loud, and I'm proud!"
The London Olympics will probably be just fine. But Beijing will be a tough act to follow.

4 comments:

  1. china's guy running on the wall to light the torch was cool, but every torch lighting should just quit after the dude in barcelona did it with a flaming arrow from about 200 meters away with one shot! that will never be beat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back Nut! Glad to see that my favorite blogger is still alive. I know you have tons of ideas for blog posts...what if you did a poll on, say, 5 of your ideas and your fans can pick which they want you to blog about first?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nutty, All you need is an iPod and one of these little microphone pills. Then you could record your thoughts throughout the day. http://www.turntablelab.com/dj_equipment/730/2173/69715.html

    ReplyDelete